Sep 19 , 2020
The ocean holds many secrets and is home to as many as two million different organisms. The seafood that we eat makes up only a small part of life in the oceans. There is a lot that you can learn about fish and shellfish.
Here are a few fun facts about popular kinds of seafood
- The next time you want to give your feline friend a treat, offer them a small serving of white fish like haddock, flounder, or cod! Whitefish is better for your cat’s health than tuna. Vitamin E is an essential nutrient for cats. Snacking on too much tuna can reduce your feline friend’s vitamin E levels. Whitefish don’t have this negative side effect and can be a good source of vitamin E.
- Have you ever wondered what the difference is between sashimi and nigiri? Many restaurants in the UK. use these two terms interchangeably but, technically, they are not the same. Nigiri is the name for a unique type of sushi with a thin slice of raw fish sitting on top of a cluster of sticky rice flavored with vinegar. Sashimi isn’t a type of sushi. It is the name for thinly sliced strips of raw fish that are served on their own without rice.
- Want to know the safest fish to eat raw? Many types of seafood can be eaten raw with a low risk of food-borne illness. The list includes yellowfin tuna, southern bluefin tuna, northern bluefin tuna, sea bass, mackerel, blue marlin, swordfish, yellowtail, salmon, trout, squid, clams, scallop, shrimp, octopus and crab.
- If you struggle to get oysters out of their shell, try this trick! Soak the oysters in club soda for up to 5 minutes after you wash them. It will make shucking them much more manageable
- Have you ever tried eel? Many Americans haven’t tasted these snakefish. In Europe and the Mediterranean, eel is an expensive delicacy. Fried eel is popular in Egypt and Italy. In Dutch nations, smoked eel is enjoyed on toast. Eel stew is popular throughout Europe.